Monday, August 4, 2008

What the heck is that ?


OK, Who can guess what this is ? Some strange cookies ? Maybe some really bad biscuits ? Well, depending on what part of the US you are from, you would have guessed before you started reading. They are fried green tomato's. If you have been reading my post's, you already know that I have a vegetable garden, and have posted some pics in the past. But anyway, for dinner tonight, we had some pork steaks, string beans and potato's from the garden, and some fried green tomato's. Our conversation got around to " how many people know about these " so I decided to share how we make them.

First off, pick the right tomato to fry. Look at the bottoms before you pick them, and make sure it has not turned yet. They will turn from the bottom up, so make sure it is still bright green. We usually fry about four regular size tomato's, cut into about four or five slices each. Get your skillet hot, about medium heat, then pour in about 1/4 inch of oil in the pan. I add about 4 bacon slices to the oil and let it cook. While this is happening, get a bowl and add about a cup of cornmeal, and a few shakes of salt and pepper to your own taste. When bacon is cooked down, remove it, then dip tomato slices into cornmeal mix, coating both sides, and put them in the skillet. You need to cook them slow so you get a good crust. About 2 minutes on each side should do. I know there are as many recipes for these, as there are tomato's, and I have tried a few. I grew up with this one, and it's the only one that tastes good to me. BUT...If you have another way of making them, please share.

1 comment:

tahtimbo said...

I love fried green tomatoes! It's a great way to use the tomatoes that don't ripen in my garden. Thanks for the recipe.