Sunday, August 10, 2008

Where's the Chicken ?



I have been a loyal soldier to the Colonel

for as long as I can remember. I was more

than happy when they decided to bring

out a southern style sandwich like

you-know-who, and had made plans this

weekend to check one out. My travels took me past three separate KFC,s and neither one had them yet. Where do I complain ? Oh well, I'll find one someday.

Anyway, I went home and made my own for dinner Sunday. Here's how I do it. I washed 6 boneless chicken breasts, and put them in a bowl with buttermilk and let sit in the fridge for a couple hours. I heat about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch of vegetable oil in my cast iron skillet, and then in a large bowl, I mix 1 and 1/2 cups of flour, 3 teaspoons Lawry's seasoning salt, 2 teaspoons pepper, and 1 teaspoons garlic powder. I get the oil very hot, and then pull the chicken from the buttermilk, roll in the flour and squeeze it on, and lay in the oil. I seal both sides of the chicken in the oil and then turn the heat down. I turn the chicken constantly to keep from burning, and cook it for about 8 to 12 minutes. When done, turn up the heat and start again. For the buns, I have a little trick. I set my big strainer in a pot with a little boiling water. I split the buns and put them in the strainer, covered, for about a minute. It makes the buns nice and soft. My grandmother had a pot just for this, and used it for hamburger and hot dog buns, rolls, and biscuits. I wish I knew what happened to it. It was a great kitchen tool. Another tip I have, to dress your sandwich with something different, Try 1/4 cup mayo, 1 teaspoon cider vinegar, and 1 teaspoon pepper. My wife likes to use the Dukes cole slaw dressing. If anyone finds one of the new KFC sandwiches, let me know !

No comments: