Friday, July 25, 2008

Sausage and squash, it's what's for dinner ! !



I went out to the garden this afternoon, and after having a look, I knew what I was having for supper. I pulled a few squash, and a couple cucumbers and went inside to check the fridge. To my dismay, I was lacking some ingredients, so I had to make a run to the store. I didn't mind it to much because it means a pass through the beach and a little sightseeing. Well I ran into the Food Lion and got what I needed and hurried home to make one of my favorites. I am going to give you the ingredients and instructions on how to make my squash casserole, but please understand I am just a regular guy, and not a Food Network star. Please bear with me, because I can only give guy directions. You will need to get

2 large, or 3 medium size squash

1 big onion, I like using the red ones

1 can of mushroom or celery soup, your choice

1 green pepper

1 log of breakfast sausage, hot or spicy your choice. I am partial to Jimmy Dean mild

1 bag of shredded cheddar cheese, I get the 12oz size

2 cups of bread crumbs or crumbled cornbread. I prefer the cornbread

Now what I do is fry the sausage in a skillit with a little water and break the sausage up as it cooks. When it's close to done, I add the onion and sliced squash, and cook it down a little. I then drain the grease, put it back on the stove and add the green pepper and let it simmer a little with the lid on. While it's doing that I get my metal cake pan an put in the bread, or cornbread crumbs. I then dump the skillet in the cake pan, and add the soup and a can of milk. I stir it up and mix it good. I put it in the oven at 400 for about 30 minutes. Then I pull it out, spread the cheese on top, and let it cook for about 10 or 15 more minutes. While my casserole was finishing up, I washed and sliced my cucumbers and put them in some vinegar, poured some sweet tea, and got out the plates. If you like, you can make it the same way as I did, but without the sausage. My kind of supper tonight. I think I'll go get some of the leftovers now

No comments: